Monday, June 27, 2011

Teriyaki Chicken ... it's freakin good.

It's been a week since I last posted...chalk it up to my thumb wound keeping me from typing.  Really just being a bit lazy; not to mention I fell slightly off the Paleo wagon this weekend by eating more than the allotted three meals "off-diet", mainly with cake.  So I'm hovering at 163lbs, but I feel fantastic.  Something I hadn't noticed until the other evening was that my sinuses are way clearer than they were before, and I haven't had heartburn for over a month!

Well, getting back on track was not too tough, as I didn't really go that far off track (again, just a few pieces of cake this weekend); if I go out to eat, I usually stick with the fish and veggies routine, and that's served me pretty well.  Chicken can be a gamble as it can dry really easily if the cooks aren't skilled...and nothing sucks more than dried out, nasty bland chicken.  So in celebration of tasty yard-bird, I cooked up some Teriyaki Chicken.  It was out of this world good.  WARNING: It is a tad "Off-Paleo" as it uses soy-sauce, but this is my version of Paleo; and in it a bit of good marinade isn't going to end the world of the cave eaters.

Please enjoy, and look forward to another post in the next few days!



Nick's Teriyaki Chicken:
1-2 lbs of chicken thighs, skinned and cut in half (I had 8 pieces after cutting)
1 fresh pineapple, cored and chunk sliced
1 green pepper chunk sliced
2 tbs walnut oil
3 tbs sesame seeds
handful of fresh basil to top
1 tbs sesame oil

Marinade:
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 6oz can pineapple juice (pure juice)
1/2 cup sake
4 crushed cloves garlic
2 tbs agave nectar (in place of brown sugar)

Whisk together marinade, place chicken parts in marinade, place in refrigerator for 4 hours.  Remove from refrigerator.  Heat walnut oil in frying pan over medium heat; once oil is hot, add chicken parts (do not add the marinade!).  Cook both sides until complete (Approx 4 mins/side).  Meanwhile, in wok heat sesame oil, once warm add peppers.  Cook until soft.  Once peppers are soft, add cooked chicken and pineapples with sesame seeds.  Stir fry until pineapples are warmed.  Add basil, stir once and immediately remove from heat.  Serve and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. okay...think i'm in....doesn't seem that hard to do! Think the "Liberty-challenged" chefs at work can whip us up some Paleo friendly lunch choices?!

    ReplyDelete