Monday, June 20, 2011

I stir fry you in my wok!

Well, I just got finished cooking tonight's Paleo delight in my new wok, and despite the casualty to my right thumb...more on that later...it has been a joy to cook on.  I'm at 163lbs, but Kathy and I strayed just a little bit this past weekend as the weather lent itself to barbecue celebrations.  Temptation with ribs and brownies; mmmmmm.....

On Father's Day while out and about with my wife's father, I came across a very inexpensive wok, and am happy to say that it has been a great addition to the kitchen.  Take a look at the first meal I cooked on it last evening:


Beef Stir Fry
1lb sirloin steak cubed
1/2 fennel bulb sliced
1 eggplant cubed
1 yellow pepper cut into bitesize pieces
1 red onion diced
1 head of broccoli
2 tbsp sesame oil
1 tsp Japanese pepper, (This is a fabulous addition to your kitchen, get it at a specialty store!)
2 tbsp Lemon Pepper

Heat oil, add Japanese pepper, then add yellow pepper and onions stir fry until onions are soft.  Add broccoli, fennel and eggplant, cook until soft, stir often.  Cover between stirrings.  Meanwhile, using a tupperwear or ziplock bag, coat the beef in Japanese pepper and lemon pepper.  Once the veggie are well cooked, remove to a separate bowl, and then cook the beef to your liking.  Add the veggies back in, stir together and then, Enjoy!


Also for Father's Day, I was surprised with a new OXO mandoline slicer!  My first time using it was this evening, while I was making a warm radicchio and pear salad, and while distracted added the tip of my right thumb (which I found and pulled from the mix) needless to say, I will be using the guard from here on out.

Despite the near mortal wound, I was able to continue to cook our meal...although it didn't have the same sort of zeal as I normally would have put into it...in fact as I write now, I am contemplating killing the pain with a non paleo cocktail heavy on the bourbon.  But I digress...for dinner this evening, we had pork chops with non-sugar applesauce and a warm radicchio salad.  Wok recipes below. 

As far as the Paleo diet goes, I can say it's been a pretty easy diet so far.  The biggest challenges have been shopping for the meals, and planning ahead for lunch while at work.  The cost isn't so bad when you consider that I'm not buying lunches like I used to...but the grocery bill is higher.  All in all, I feel great, and my stomach hasn't had any issues whatsoever, in fact quite the opposite, my stomach has been GREAT on this diet...but on to the recipes.

Warm Radicchio and Pear Salad:
2 Bosch pears
1 head radicchio
1 fennel bulb
3 tbsp sesame oil
4 cloves garlic
7 figs
2 cups of spinach leaves

Turn grill onto medium high.

CAREFULLY slice the radicchio and fennel on a mandoline, or slice by knife.  Peel the pear and thickly julienne.  Heat the sesame oil in a wok on medium high and add the crushed garlic cloves.  Allow the garlic to become aromatic; add the fennel, radicchio, and spinach.  Using tongs turn until wilted.  Add the figs and pears, stir until pears are warmed, remove from heat.

Coat two 1 in thick pork chops with walnut oil, then generously apply fresh ground pepper to both sides.  Cook on grill, 5-6 minutes per side, depending on your grill.

Serve with applesauce.


I hope you enjoy these Paleo dinners!





No comments:

Post a Comment